Dorothy Mugah:-Project Leader, FPFK Widows Project
The project whose overall objective is “To Empower the Widows of Nyambare to Live in Dignity and Freedom” is currently implementing in only 2 locations within Siaya County namely, Usonga and West Ugenya and has three other Specific Objectives but is currently implementing the very first one, which is:- “To Increase knowledge and skills for widows’ self-advocacy towards their freedom from harmful cultural practices.”
The project conducted 23 workshops capturing different training topics like; legal rights, psychosocial intervention, civic education just to mention a few. Specifically the project conducted the following activities:
- Sensitized94 Affected Youths, Cultural leaders and religious leaders on the rights and freedoms of widows.
- Conducted one dialogue forum with the 68 cultural leaders and the widows
- Conducted Training of Trainers on the widows legal rights reaching out to 20 widows
- A rollout of 7 legal rights workshops targeted to all the 403 widows but reached out to 348
- Conducted 2 dialogue activities for the religious leader and the widows, 50 participants each
- Conducted 2 dialogue activities between the local administrators and the widows of 53 and 49 participants each.
- Conducted one Training of Trainers workshop in the year, this time on psycho-social intervention was conducted.
- 13 widows and the volunteers were trained on basic counseling skills
- Conducted one workshop for the psycho-social support
activities targeting 100 widows in the support groups.